Monday, January 19, 2009

"W" No not Bush, but he claimed to be a gardener.

I met him through the Whoshere application on my iPhone. Whoshere is a program which allows you to create a brief profile and be linked to everyone else with an Apple iPhone or iTouch who also has the application. The application allows you to view pictures, instant message and trade pictures. I had downloaded the application a couple weeks prior and used it when I was bored and wanted to chat with someone. Typically I ignore guys who have topless pictures - I find them crude for some reason - but “W” was cute, even if he looked young.

We got to chatting and it turned out we had a lot in common. He was 30, separated from his wife/high school sweetheart for 14 months, has two boys. Owned his own landscaping business that he claims is very successful and seemed to be overall a good guy, from what I could discern via phone and texts. That night we talked on the phone until 3:00am and it was a great conversation. The next week we shared text messages and phone calls and even set a date for him to visit. The following week the phone calls waned a bit but we still communicated daily via texts.

The big day comes, Friday, the day he was supposed to visit. He seemed so excited and I was also very excited but tried my best to hide my excitement. I was burned pretty bad in my last relationship, so I am very wary of giving too much too quick and I was being cautious with “W” for that reason and because of course, this was only the second week and I really did not know him. I sent him a text around 2pm, asking we are still on and he says he is “working on it” and “please don’t be mad”, it is a 2.5 hour drive. I hear nothing from him so around 6pm I send him another text, he doesn’t reply until 8pm. He is apologizing, claiming he has a flat and is waiting for his dad to help because he did not have a spare – he is still at home. I suggest we reschedule and he says yes, that he “can’t wait to meet me” and that he is “sooo pissed”. I jokingly reply back that he should get the tire and come tonight. We often joked back and forth, so he should have known I was kidding. He didn’t respond.

I haven’t heard from him since. I have sent a couple texts and left him one message on his home machine. It is now Monday, and I still have heard nothing from him since Friday night. No texts, no phone calls and he has not been on the Whoshere application (which conveniently tells you when someone has last logged).

I am at a loss. I was really interested in “W”. I am not sure what happened. Who knows, maybe he reconciled with his wife or met someone else? I guess it is better to know he is a flake now than to find out later, when I really like him and have committed a significant amount of time.

What happened to common courtesy? Pick up the phone or shoot me a text and just say “sorry I am not interested, have a good life”. I get the whole "he is just not that into you", but why can't men just say that? I have flat out told guys that I was not into them. I did it in a tactful manner and we have remained platonic friends and/or just peacefully parted ways. Why can't men do the same?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you read my recent post about this kind of flakiness. Dr. Leah, the co-founder of our site www.singlemommyhood.com, says that a mystery like this is best left... as a mystery.

    What matter is: You deserve MUCH better!!

    There are men out there who are reliable and respectful. Let this one go...

    ReplyDelete